Following the close of the Medical Council election process today, the independent Returning Officer, Dublin County Sheriff Mr Fergus Gallagher, has announced the results of those elected.
In total, 18 candidates contested four positions in four categories in the election.
The following have been deemed elected by the returning officer:
Specialist Division – Anaesthesia: Dr Suzanne Crowe elected
Specialist Division – Obstetrics and Gynaecology: Professor Deirdre Murphy elected
One medical practitioner, not being a consultant, practising medicine in a hospital: Dr Liqa Ur Rehman elected
One registered medical practitioner, not falling within any of the other categories: Mr Nauman Nabi elected
Speaking following the announcement of the results, Medical Council CEO Mr Leo Kearns said: “My sincere congratulations to the four doctors elected to the Medical Council for the upcoming term. The Medical Council plays a key role within the Irish health sector and I know the newly elected members will have a great impact on shaping the future of the Medical Council through their contributions. I look forward to working with all our members over the next few years.
“We are very grateful to all those who put themselves forward for election, it was a particularly strong field of candidates, and I hope all our election candidates continue to engage with the Medical Council in the future.”
No candidates were deemed eligible for election in two election categories, Specialist Division – Pathology or Radiology and Specialist Division – Public Health Medicine and these categories will be filled at a later date, in accordance with regulations.
The newly elected members will begin their term on 1 June 2023.
According to a statement from Returning Officer Mr Gallagher: “As Returning Officer, I today (21 March 2023) announce the results of the elections of medical members of the Medical Council. The total number of doctors who voted in the election was 4,966.
“Four candidates have been elected, subject to appointment by the Minister for Health. In accordance with the regulations, as Returning Officer I have given written notice to every person elected of their election and have supplied the Minister and the Medical Council with a list of the persons elected.”
The Medical Council is made up of 25 members, six of whom are elected positions, five appointed by the Minister for Health through the public appointments service, one nominated by the Minister for Further and Higher Education, Research, Innovation and Science, two nominated by the HSE, two by the Medical Schools Council and one nominated by each of the following: HIQA, NMBI, CORU, ICGP, RCSI, RCPI, College of Psychiatrists of Ireland, Private Hospitals Association and the Royal Irish Academy.
The full results of the online ballot were as follows:
Specialist Division – Anaesthesia – (Total poll – 3,885)
- Dr Patrick Breen (Registration Number: 015547) – 155
- Dr Suzanne Crowe (Registration Number: 19051) – 1,757
- Dr David Honan (Registered Number: 013213) – 424
- Dr Ehtesham Khan (Registration Number: 049848) – 1,549
Dr Suzanne Crowe is deemed elected.
Specialist Division – Obstetrics and Gynaecology (Total poll – 3,502)
- Professor Deirdre Murphy (Registration Number: 013130) – 1,819
- Dr Carmen Regan (Registration Number: 010140) – 1,683
Professor Deirdre Murphy is deemed elected.
One medical practitioner, not being a consultant, practising medicine in a hospital (Total poll 4,113)
- Dr Becky Uju Azuma (Registration Number: 429142) – 376
- Dr Norella Broderick (Registration Number: 411396) – 454
- Dr Orla Kelly (Registration Number: 417025) – 1,212
- Dr Muhammad E A Khan (Registration Number: 412829) – 283
- Dr Jannush Kylanathan (Registration Number: 503259) – 87
- Dr Liqa ur Rehman (Registration Number: 413159) – 1,701
Dr Liqa ur Rehman is deemed elected.
One registered medical practitioner, not falling within any of the other categories (Total poll 4,260)
- Professor Camilla Carroll (Registration Number: 010181) – 543
- Dr Michael McGloin (Registration Number: 006585) – 588
- Mr Nauman Nabi (Registration Number: 404027) – 1,751
- Dr Andrew O’Flaherty (Registration Number: 023252) – 258
- Professor Desmond O’Neill (Registration Number: 000784) – 920
- Dr George Leslie Thomas (Registration Number: 063271) – 200
Mr Nauman Nabi is deemed elected.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.