NOTE: By submitting this form and registering with us, you are providing us with permission to store your personal data and the record of your registration. In addition, registration with the Medical Independent includes granting consent for the delivery of that additional professional content and targeted ads, and the cookies required to deliver same. View our Privacy Policy and Cookie Notice for further details.

Don't have an account? Register



Gildea has the final say as doctors seal epic comeback

By Mindo - 01st Nov 2019

St Vincent’s Hospital FC 4-3 Kilmore Celtic FC

11 October 2019
Pearse Park Astro, Crumlin
Tom Carroll Cup, 1st Round

St Vincent’s completed a come-from-behind victory in a thrilling tie against Kilmore Celtic to continue their strong cup form so far this season.

The doctors found themselves 3-1 down midway through the second half with the visitors well on top, but a spirited late comeback saw the club progress to the second round of the Tom Carroll Cup, a competition comprised of teams from the Saturday Major 1B League and lower.

David Kennedy

Kilmore came into the game in good form, flying high in second place in the Major 1C division. With Vincent’s yet to get off the mark in a disjoined league campaign thus far, the away-side’s confidence showed as they took a first-half lead via an excellent direct free kick. The opener had come slightly against the run of play, however, as St Vincent’s had twice rattled the woodwork early on with Aidan McGrath particularly unlucky to see his effort rebound off the post after a typically slalomed forward burst.

Though Kilmore grew in stature after going ahead, Vincent’s levelled the tie in first-half injury time through Rory Durand’s first goal of the season, after Kieran Keane had controversially been denied a penalty when tripped in the area.

Despite conceding at that inopportune moment, Kilmore emerged after the break with renewed momentum and raced into a 3-1 lead after their centre forward twice capitalised on some indecision in the Vincent’s defence and finished when one-on-one. With their tails up, the Coolock outfit seemed safely in control of proceedings, but a first Vincent’s goal for ex-Salthill Devon midfielder Brian Gaffney brought the tie back to life. Suddenly the tide had turned and after a period of sustained pressure, David Gildea equalised with a poacher’s effort after a set piece. From then on there was only going to be one winner – it was all Vincent’s, and the winner finally came with 15 minutes to play when Gildea combined brilliantly with John Cosgrove on the edge of the area and slotted past the goalkeeper to cap a memorable comeback.

Rory Durand

The doctors have a chance to continue their good knockout record next time out with an FAI Junior Cup tie away from home, with the opposition still to be confirmed.

Matchday squad (4-3-3): Ronan Murray, David Kennedy, Kieran Keane (c), Colm Cosgrove, Barra Neary, John Cosgrove, Brian Gaffney, Rory Durand, Brian Kelly, David Gildea, Aidan McGrath
Subs: Kevin Nally, Colm Kirby

Leave a Reply






Latest Issue
medical independent 9th July
Medical Independent 9th July 2024

You need to be logged in to access this content. Please login or sign up using the links below.


Trending Articles