NOTE: By submitting this form and registering with us, you are providing us with permission to store your personal data and the record of your registration. In addition, registration with the Medical Independent includes granting consent for the delivery of that additional professional content and targeted ads, and the cookies required to deliver same. View our Privacy Policy and Cookie Notice for further details.

You can opt out at anytime by visiting our cookie policy page. In line with the provisions of the GDPR, the provision of your personal data is a requirement necessary to enter into a contract. We must advise you at the point of collecting your personal data that it is a required field, and the consequences of not providing the personal data is that we cannot provide this service to you.


Don't have an account? Subscribe

IOS Annual Medical Conference ‘a great success’

By Priscilla Lynch - 15th Nov 2022

Irish Osteoporosis Society

The Irish Osteoporosis Society (IOS) Annual Medical Conference for Health Professionals was held virtually on Saturday, 22 October.

The well-attended conference featured a varied range of presentations from expert speakers on topical issues relating to osteoporosis. 

Irish Osteoporosis Society
Prof Moira O’Brien

President of the Society, Prof Moira O’Brien, told the Medical Independent she was delighted attendees could get updates in so many areas of bone health on the day. 

“Osteoporosis is the commonest bone disease worldwide, but it is preventable, and it is treatable [for the majority],” stated Prof O’Brien. 

“Dr Kevin McCarroll spoke about the importance of normal vitamin D levels and parathyroid hormone on bone and the different issues that can arise. 

“Prof Bernard Walsh discussed the horrendous secondary impact Covid-19 has had on people’s bone health, including the increased risk of falls. 

“I believe many people were shocked when they heard from [physiotherapist] Aoife Ni Eochaidh that 75 per cent of people with incontinence issues can reverse the problem [with pelvic floor training] and the other 25 per cent can improve the issue. 

“Mr Derek Bennett spoke about the importance of not only fixing bone fractures, but increased diagnosis of osteoporosis by orthopaedic surgeons 

“The presentation on denosumab by Dr Rosie Lannon clarified that patients on this treatment should not be put on ‘drug holidays’ from it, as unfortunately some patients have been told to stop/put on hold their osteoporosis medications for dental work to be done, which is placing these patients at risk of fractures.” 

Prof O’Brien also praised the presentation given by Prof Niall Moyna on exercise and chronic diseases. 

“I graduated medical school in 1956 and I have been involved in sports medicine since the 1960s, and at 89 I am still working as an osteoporosis consultant. 

“In my opinion Prof Niall Moyna’s idea of health passports, for children, is by far the most ingenious yet simplest one that I have heard presented to date.” 

More information and resources on osteoporosis are available on the IOS website, www.irishosteoporosis.ie. 

Leave a Reply

Latest
Latest Issue
The Medical Independent 20th February 2024

You need to be logged in to access this content. Please login or sign up using the links below.

Most Read