NOTE: By submitting this form and registering with us, you are providing us with permission to store your personal data and the record of your registration. In addition, registration with the Medical Independent includes granting consent for the delivery of that additional professional content and targeted ads, and the cookies required to deliver same. View our Privacy Policy and Cookie Notice for further details.

You can opt out at anytime by visiting our cookie policy page. In line with the provisions of the GDPR, the provision of your personal data is a requirement necessary to enter into a contract. We must advise you at the point of collecting your personal data that it is a required field, and the consequences of not providing the personal data is that we cannot provide this service to you.

Don't have an account? Subscribe

Cannabis products assigned reimbursement codes

By Mindo - 01st Dec 2021

A home grown marijuanna plant sitting by the window.

Specified controlled drug products have been assigned administrative codes by the HSE under the medical cannabis access programme (MCAP). The drugs are CannEpil Oral Solution and Tilray THC10:CBD10 Full Spectrum Oral Solution.

The MCAP is a five-year pilot programme and subject to review. The aim of the programme is to provide access to cannabis-based treatments for patients with the following medical conditions, which have failed to respond to standard treatments: Spasticity associated with multiple sclerosis resistant to all standard therapies and interventions; intractable nausea and vomiting associated with chemotherapy, despite the use of standard antiemetic regimes; and severe, refractory epilepsy that has failed to respond to standard anticonvulsant medications.

In an update on the implementation of the programme, the Primary Care Reimbursement Service advised that the prescribing consultant neurologist/oncologist must make an application to register the patient on the ‘cannabis for medical use register’.

The register application form must be completed by the prescribing medical consultant and the patient/parent/guardian. Reimbursement of the drug products, prescribed by medical consultants and supplied through community pharmacies for a specified therapeutic indication, is to be made on an individual named patient basis aligned to the patient’s eligibility under the community drug schemes.

Leave a Reply

Latest Issue
The Medical Independent 20th February
The Medical Independent 20th February 2024

You need to be logged in to access this content. Please login or sign up using the links below.

Most Read