These images are part of the St Ultan’s Hospital archive held by the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland’s Heritage Centre. St Ultan’s Hospital was founded in 1919 by Dr Kathleen Lynn and a group of female supporters to provide medical care to some of Dublin’s poorest children. The hospital practised a policy of positive discrimination in appointments, as many female doctors struggled to get appointments in other Dublin hospitals. In the 1940s St Ultan’s led the fight against tuberculosis, with the introduction of the BCG vaccination. The hospital closed in 1984 and the archives were transferred to the RCPI for safe keeping.