Skip to content

You are reading 1 of 2 free-access articles allowed for 30 days

The war on vaccination terror

The safety and efficacy record of the HPV vaccine has been vigorously defended by health authorities both here and abroad. However, the significant impact that fear is having, following reports from parents whose daughters have become ill after vaccination, despite no causality being established, is now clear.

Parents are becoming increasingly worried about exposing their children to perceived risk, despite medical reassurances, and are choosing to turn away from HPV vaccination, and it is now feared this will spread to other vaccination programmes.

The medical community has been accused of being “fraternalistic”, “patronising” and ignoring patients’ concerns in its response to the HPV vaccination crisis. The days when patients hung on every word that came out of their doctor’s mouth are long over and nowadays patients are putting ever-increasing trust in Dr Google and online forums.

While the independent drive for increased knowledge is welcome, it is the sources of the HPV vaccine ‘information’ that are most worrying. People can and do say almost anything they want online, and hysterical, untrue and ill-informed comments are now being taken as fact by those seeking information on HPV vaccine safety. Any stories online defending the safety of the vaccine are being overrun in the comments section by negative posts. There are plenty of Irish healthcare workers online — should they add their voices to such comment sections?

The media, for its part, walks a dangerous tightrope when reporting on HPV vaccine fears, trying to strike the correct balance of reporting the concerns and anger of parents who feel their experiences are being dismissed and covered up, with the medical facts known to date. Unfortunately, some media have not upheld the standards of balance, accuracy and objectivity that all of us in this industry have a core duty to uphold.

It is vital that doctors and other healthcare experts have their voices heard in this debate.  Dr Brenda Corcoran from the HSE’s National Immunisation Office is to be commended for speaking authoritatively and factually to the media on the impact the current scare is having on HPV vaccine rates and reiterating the results of the clinical studies to date. We need more medical voices to come out and talk publicly about this subject. It is not easy sometimes in the face of anti-medical sentiment, but need we forget the impact of previous vaccine scares such as the MMR/Wakefield scandal?

In this issue, we look at the role vaccination has had on bringing polio to the edge of eradication. For younger generations who have not witnessed the devastating impact preventable diseases can have, it is a timely, positive reminder of the power of mass vaccination.

1. Lee on October 25, 2016 at 11:44 am

I can’t believe what I have just read, when are they going to sit up and listen. How many more girls will the HSE allow to suffer at the hands of this drug. It is shocking what is happening to our children.

This problem is not going to go away and if anything will only get worse. My daughter is one of the injured girls. Since receiving this vaccine her health went into decline. She first started with flu like symptoms that led to migraines and constant nausea. She would roll on the floor with abdominal pain. She developed heart palpitations, rapid eye movement, chest pain, back ear and joint pain, sleep paralysis, brain fog, ovarian cysts. She has been passed from consultant to consultant had mri’s, x-rays, lumbar puncture and colonoscopy the list goes on. She recently attended a&e with a burst ovarian cyst. All of the above symptoms are listed in the manufacturer patient information leaflet and yet doctors insist it is all in her head. We are now financially under pressure due to the medical costs this vaccine has caused.

The HSE need to address our sick girls they have a duty of care to our daughter’s.
    I call on the HSE, Irish Cancer Society and the Irish Government, to carry out a full investigation into this vaccine in the interest of health and safety of our children .

Regards,
    Lee

2. Dee Dooley on October 24, 2016 at 9:27 pm

This could all be put to bed very easily if the medical body and government looked into the problems the girls were experiencing as a collective group! I really don’t understand why they are not doing it… these are concerned parents asking for answers and help. One way or other the answer would solve the debate!

3. Kiva Murphy on October 24, 2016 at 7:32 pm

Great Point Dee. Exactly !! why not investage these girls . Why has NO ONE from the HSE looked at these girls . Why not find out who and why some girls have adverse effects . Why not put it back into the hands of the Dr’s and take it out if the school environment so Dr’s can report side effects better.
    You know if your not looking for something you will never find it !
    Stop injecting and neglecting these girls . Stop calling Regret scaremongers … is it not OK for them to be concerned for everyone’s daughters so they don’t have to go threw hell like their families have had too.
    Look around the world . Why are all these girls the same ?.
    These families are looking for help why not help them. The HSE should spend money trying to fix this problem not promoting something that is under such scrutiny world wide !!
    A live Virus has been injected into these girls and they have been left to rot.
    Shame on you .!.

4. Eve on October 24, 2016 at 7:26 pm

My daughter has been severely injured because of this vaccine. She lives daily with horrendous headaches heart palpation unexplained seizures blackout. The HSE have done nothing to help me .my daughter has missed out on her teenage years because of it .my daughter is now being treated for vaccine injury .I have had her at countless consultants and doctors all say it is outside their remitt.i challenge the powers at be to meet our daughters .we have asked this countless times but no you choose to ignore us .what are afraid off that we are right .I am a cervical cancer survivor and i do not recommend this vaccine .that has to stand for some thing .I destroyed my daughters life when I gave her this vaccine .I was not allowed to make an informed choice. I was not given the proper patient information leaflet. Shame on you minster for health and shame on you hse.our girls are injected and neglected. #regret

5. Eve on October 24, 2016 at 7:26 pm